Thursday, February 13, 2014

Homemade Oreos...Enough Said

I feel like if you don't love Oreos, you simply aren't human. So, I went off and made my own!

I'm beginning to get sick of heart shaped things already...

Now before I start, this was my first time making anything like this before and they surely did not turn out perfect, but I believe I know why so I'll make little notes here and there so you don't do the same. Baking is all trial and error, right?

(recipe from HERE)
What you need:
(cookies)
1 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1/4 cup of cornstarch
3 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
3-4 tablespoons of water
1 egg
1 teaspoon of black gel food coloring
(frosting)
1/4 cup of vegetable shortening
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 teaspoons of granulated white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons of hot water

What you do:
(cookies)
Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder and cornstarch in a bowl. Then, melt the shortening (I found thirty seconds in the microwave works good). Then beat the melted shortening and your egg into the dry mixture. Start adding your water, by tablespoon into the mixture until a thick dough is formed. (I added all four tablespoons, but I'm pretty sure I only needed three). Then, stir in your food coloring and knead the dough until it is completely mixed. (I couldn't find any black food coloring so I skipped this step). Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for about ten to fifteen minutes. Then, take it out and roll it between two pieces of parchment paper (the baking holy grail) to a thickness of 1/16 of an inch. (who ever had thick Oreos? no one). Once rolled, cut out your shapes and place on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 5 minutes. This causes them to harden slightly. Then place in a preheated oven (350°F) for about 10 minutes. Lastly, remove and leave them to cool.
(frosting)
I recommend doing this while your cookies are baking. Mix your powdered sugar, white sugar, shortening and vanilla. Then, beat in the hot water. That's it!
Once your cookies are cool enough, pair them up and put as much frosting in between them as you would like. (like in my case, extra mega stuffed...)

And that'd be it! They taste EXACTLY like Oreos and were actually pretty fun to make if you ask me. You can always add food coloring to your frosting to make it more festive, or just leave them plain. Either way, they're really good.

That's all for today guys, I'll be back tomorrow with my final recipe then it's back to all things makeup.
Until then, think of your best cheesy pick-up lines and
Check out my other stuff
Twitter
Tumblr
Luvocracy

BYE.






No comments:

Post a Comment