Monday, February 24, 2014

Current Hair Care

Hi guys!

So, today is all about my hair. I've been dying my hair for years now and it's really starting to completely hate me. It's been so many different colors, some intentional, some definitely not. (My bright orange hair, not really what I was going for). At least I gave the whole "salon at home" thing a shot, right? Eh, whatever. So, last time me and my sister tried to do my hair, I decided I wanted to go back to blonde like I was my senior year of high school. Not really what turned out though. Long story short, I bleached it, it turned out orange and pink, and I sucked it up and went to a professional. Now, it's back to brown and I'm trying really hard to make it healthy again before I dye it next, whatever color that may be.

As my hair is quite long and not really my favorite when it's just left natural, I would blow dry, then heat style every. single. day. Lately, I'm really trying to get away from that and the only way I break out of things is to quit them cold turkey. (That's still a saying, right?) I am proud to say I have not blow dried or heat styled my hair in WEEKS. So, I guess I'll just go through my little weekly routine for my poor hair...
*Little side note, I do only wash my hair every third day. I found it actually has made a difference. Shampooing your hair too much can take away all the natural oils your hair needs to be healthy. My hair loves me for it!

$6 at Ulta
Not Your Mother's Way To Grow Long and Strong Shampoo
It's a little it of a mouthful, I know. This is one of the first Not Your Mother's products I've ever bought, but I constantly heard great things about this brand. I use this almost every time I wash my hair. I haven't noticed any growth in my hair, but I've only been using it for a couple weeks. It would be nice if it did make my hair grow faster though! Definitely a good product for me, and it smells fresh and clean, which is always a plus.


$27 at Lush for 11.4 oz
Big Shampoo from Lush
This is hands-down the most expensive shampoo I've ever bought in my life. It's from Lush, so it's completely handmade and wonderful. It's made with coarse sea salt, seaweed, coconut, lemons, limes and other stuff. I use this one a week as a clarifying shampoo. It does a good job to remove all the product I've put in my hair during the week and leaves it feeling extra squeaky clean and soft. It's meant to give a lot of volume to your hair, which kind of happens but since my hair is long, it doesn't take a whole lot for it to flatten on me. The only downsides to this is it leaves my hair looking pretty dry, so conditioner is vital when I use this and it tends to make colored hair fade faster that normal, especially when exposed to sunlight. Despite the price, I'll be purchasing another tub of this ASAP.

$4 for 1 oz or $33 for 8.5 oz at Ulta
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque
Oh. My. God. This is my holy grail of hair products. I use this hair masque pretty much every time I shower only because I love how my hair feels afterward. Think of the softest thing you've ever touched. Now imagine that being your hair. Yeah, I'm not kidding. I bought a couple of the 1 ounce packages of this just to try it since the full size is pretty hefty priced, but I have got to go back and buy the full one. In the shower, I just finger comb a little of this into the ends of my hair, but avoiding my roots. I then throw it into a top knot and continue doing my regular shower stuff. By the time I'm done with everything else (I'm pretty slow, so it tends to be at least ten minutes later), I just rinse it out in cold water. Even when I'm rinsing it out, I can already feel the softness in my hair. It's a thick consistency so a little bit goes a long way. I've been getting three or four showers out of one 1 ounce package. I think it's safe to say I'm obsessed with this, is that weird?

$13.50 for 13.5 oz at birchbox.com
Bain de Terre Passion Flower Color Preserving Conditioner
I received this sample in February's Birchbox so I've been testing it out recently. It smells SO good and does leave my hair smelling great all day when I don't put other products in my hair after my shower. To me, this conditioner does a good job. My hair is soft and I like knowing that it's not effecting the color of my hair. I get annoyed at products I love when they cause my color to fade. I don't really think I'll buy the full size of this conditioner but for now, I'll use up the sample.

$6 at Ulta
Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray
Ugh, yes. Just yes. This and my other shampoo are the only products I have from this brand but that won't last long. I really wanted to get the Oribe dry texturizing spray but I was not about to shell out $42 for it, so I got this instead. $6 as opposed to $42? Yes please. After I shower, I put my hair in a french braid down the back and sleep with it. In the morning, I'll take out my braid and spray some of this in it and scrunch a little. That's it! I found that this spray holds the wave all day and makes it look like I spent the day at the beach when I didn't (a girl can dream). My hair smells like coconuts and beach air all the time now. I find myself spraying this throughout the day just because I like the smell. (I'm completely normal, I promise).

$8 at Ulta
Batiste Dry Shampoo
On the days I don't wash my hair, I use a dry shampoo to spruce it up a little. I've tried three or four different dry shampoos and this is definitely my favorite. It takes all the excess oil from my roots and gives a little bit of volume back to my hair. The only downside is that my hair is kind of dark and this comes out as a white powder, so it's always a little bit of a chore brushing it out of my hair. The upside? Batiste thought about that and came out with the Hint of Color Dry Shampoo line, so I can go and pick out a dry shampoo that will blend in with my hair. AND for summer when I go on vacation, they have a travel size for $1. Yay.

$25 for 3.2 oz at birchbox.com
Serge Normant Meta Revive Dry Conditioner
I got a sample size of this in January's Birchbox so I figured I'd add it to my routine for now. After I use my dry shampoo, I'll use this on the ends of my hair. It freshens them up a bit and adds a tiny bit of shine. The biggest thing is, it softens my hair and detangles for me so it really looks like I just showered. I like this dry conditioner, but it's also the first one I've ever used so I don't exactly have anything to compare it to.

$5 at Walmart
Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray
When I do heat style my hair, I always use a heat protective spray. I think it's safe to say this is my favorite, seeing as I'm on my third bottle of it... This leaves my hair shiny and soft, especially when I use my straightener.When my hair is wet, I just spray this all over my head, concentrating more on my ends than anything else, then blow dry as normal. Then, I'll spray it on my ends again before straightening or curling. It is definitely a must-have in my hair care routine.



I've really liked trying out new products lately, so feel free to leave comments on other things I should try! I'm sure I'll have a completely different routine in the middle of the summer, since the weather will be so much different than it is now (and 100000 times better), so I'll probably update this eventually. Also, I'll be putting all the products I talked about into my Luvocracy page.

I'll be back in a few days with another post, until then
Check out my other stuff


BYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment