Monday, January 27, 2014

Next Great Baker? Probably not...

So I tried something new today....baking!

I mean, I've baked before, but always while helping my mom or on my own with some (or a lot) of her help. She's pretty talented, actually REALLY talented at baking, but I don't believe I inherited that lovely trait. I decided today that I'm nineteen years old, I should be able to bake SOMETHING by myself. What did i make?
Brownies? Cookies? Cake? Nah, too easy.
I went for....(insert drum roll here)

Macarons.
Like, the super difficult dessert. 
What did I get myself into?

Here's a slight back story to my decision..
I was on Youtube (as usual) and I saw that both Zoella (her channel HERE) and Bethany Mota (her channel HERE) made them recently and they looked SO good, but I don't think there's any place around here that sells them. They didn't seem too tough, so I went out and bought all the ingredients and dove right in.

I used a slightly different recipe than both of those girls that I got from another blog (HERE)

Macarons
3 large egg whites
200 grams of confectioners' sugar
50 grams of granulated white sugar
110 grams of ground almonds (I found some already ground at the health food store near me)

After reading reviews and such, I noticed everyone said to weigh the ingredients instead of using cup measurements. So, I searched my house for a kitchen scale. (thank god I had one). I mixed the confectioners' sugar and the ground almonds together then sifted them to make a fine mixture. Then I started beating my egg whites with the electric mixer until they had stiff peaks. It was somewhere between the consistency of whipped cream and whipped butter. Then I added my granulated sugar until the mixture was glossy. At this step I added my pink food coloring and mixed it in (obviously I chose pink!). Then I added the other dry ingredients and FOLDED the mixture (don't stir!). Once folded and ready, I put the mixture into a Ziploc bag (I couldn't find actual piping bags), then this is where I realized what I got myself into. I cut the corner of the bag and began to try and make small, identical circles on my parchment paper (which was on a cookie sheet). I noticed the mixture didn't look like what it was supposed to, but I went with it and tried my best to get similar looking circles. I ended up taking a butter knife and fixing them once I was finished. I then hit the cookie sheet onto the counter to try and remove any air bubbles and let it sit out for fifteen minutes until the tops of the circles were a little harder. I then popped them in the preheated oven (285°F) and left them for about fifteen minutes. I checked on them about eighty five times because I was so nervous I would burn them (it happens often...). When I took them out, they looked puffier and delicious! I paired up the tops and bottoms and added some Nutella to the inside. 


They look pretty good to me, especially for my first attempt at baking by myself. I will definitely be trying these again. I'm thinking bigger macarons with a dark chocolate and raspberry ganache in the middle. YUM.

So that's it for today!
Look forward to my January favorites coming up on Saturday.

Please leave a comment on what posts I should do, I'll probably do them!

Check out my other stuff

BYE.


No comments:

Post a Comment